Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the filling:
For the batter:
For the onion gravy:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Blanch the carrots in a pan of boiling water for 4-6 minutes, then drain and transfer to a roasting tray. Add the red onions and vegetarian sausages, drizzle everything with the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, then increase the heat to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl with a good pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre, crack in the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the milk and mix to make a smooth batter. Stir in the mustard and season well.
- Remove the roasting tray from the oven and quickly pour the batter over the vegetables and sausages. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and risen.
- Meanwhile, make the onion gravy. Heat the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and herbs and sprinkle with the sugar. Cook for five minutes, then turn the heat to low and cook for at least 15-20 minutes until soft and lightly caramelised. The longer you cook them, the better the flavour.
- Stir in the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, then stir and cook for one minute. Gradually stir in the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently until thickened. Season to taste. Remove and discard the herbs before serving.
- Serve the toad-in-the-hole with plenty of onion gravy.
Per serving: 784kcals, 37.4g fat (13.5g saturated), 79.8g carbs (22.2g sugars), 38g protein, 9.3g fibre, 0.89g sodium
Popular in Irish
Irish coffee affogato by EUROSPAR