For the vegetarian meatballs:
2 x 400g tins of chickpeas
1 large egg
90g porridge oats
2 tbsp tomato purée
3 tbsp basil
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp fennel seeds
¼ tsp chilli flakes
Salt and black pepper
1 x 500ml jar of tomato and basil sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid. Transfer the chickpeas to a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Add the egg, oats, tomato purée, basil, garlic, fennel seeds and chilli, and whizz again until smooth. If the mix is too dry, add one tablespoon of the chickpea liquid at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the mix into 16 equal balls and place on the prepared baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and crisp, turning the meatballs halfway through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil over a high heat. Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.
- In a pot, heat the tomato and basil sauce. Add the meatballs and toss to coat.
- Divide the spaghetti amongst four bowls and top with the meatballs, sauce and some fresh basil.
479kcals, 10.6g fat (1.6g saturated), 79g carbs (8.5g sugars), 19.6g protein, 7.2g fibre, 0.708g sodium