Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onions for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the carrots, parsnips and celery and some salt and pepper, then cover with a lid and cook gently fry for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato purée and cook for one minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for two minutes longer.
- Add the stock, pearl barley and thyme and stir to mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the sliced potatoes for 1-2 minutes to soften slightly. Drain the potatoes over the sink using a colander and run under cold water so that they are cool enough to handle.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large baking dish. Arrange the sliced potatoes over the top. Dot the butter over the top and season with salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden-brown and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
Per Serving 416kcals, 9.9g fat (4g saturated), 76.7g carbs, 13.7g sugars, 8.7g protein, 14.6g fibre, 0.76g sodium
IrishDinnerFreezer-friendlyDinnerMeat-freeCholesterol-friendly recipesLow-fatOne-potKidsFamily mealsCuisinesBudget mealsComfort foodMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Irish
Irish coffee affogato by EUROSPAR