2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small carrot, chopped
1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
½ a red pepper, deseeded and chopped
Salt and black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
2 x 400g tins of lentils, rinsed and drained
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
100g frozen peas, thawed
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
6 lasagne sheets
For the vegan Béchamel:
2 tbsp sunflower oil
100g plain flour
800ml unsweetened almond milk
Salad or extra vegetables
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the onions and garlic for five minutes.
- Add the carrot, parsnip, red pepper and one teaspoon of salt. Cook gently for five minutes until the vegetables are softened but not coloured. Add the paprika and cumin and cook for one minute, stirring.
- Stir in the lentils, tomatoes, bay leaves, soy sauce, sugar, 150ml water and a generous crack of black pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, add the peas and parsley and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4.
- For the white sauce, heat the sunflower oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the flour and quickly whisk into the oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Add about one-quarter of the almond milk and whisk quickly to combine. As soon as it has combined, add another splash of almond milk. Repeat until the almond milk is used up; you may need more or less depending on how thick you want the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Place a layer of lasagne sheets in the bottom of a 30 x 20cm baking dish. Add half of the lentil mixture, then top with a layer of the white sauce. Add a second layer of lasagne sheets, then the remaining lentil mixture and finally the remaining white sauce.
- Place the dish on a baking tray and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Sprinkle over some chopped parsley and serve with a salad or some extra vegetables.
Per serving 431kcals, 13.4g fat (1.6g saturated), 60.5g carbs (10.3g sugars), 16.6g protein, 14.1g fibre, 0.294g sodium