4 tbsp dried green or puy lentils
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot, very finely chopped
1 celery stalk, very finely chopped
12 cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
6 sun-dried tomatoes
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
30g walnuts, roughly chopped
3 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tbsp tomato purée
¼ tsp hot chilli powder (optional)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and black pepper
Pinch of sugar
Fresh basil leaves, torn
- Cook the lentils according to package instructions, then set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over a low heat. Cook the onion for 5-6 minutes until soft, then add the carrot and celery and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute longer.
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and allow to soak and soften for 10 minutes.
- Roughly chop the softened tomatoes and pound into a paste using a pestle and mortar. Add the walnuts, basil leaves and remaining olive oil and work into a paste with the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Push the onion mixture to the side of the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the cherry tomatoes, cut side down, and cook for two minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomato mixture along with the cooked lentils, tomato purée and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, chilli powder and sugar.
- Ladle the sauce over cooked spaghetti and top with extra basil leaves to serve.
Per Serving 575kcals, 33.5g fat (3.9g saturated), 61.8g carbs, 25.6g sugars, 18.9g protein, 17.6g fibre, 0.187g sodium