For the sauce:
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 x 3cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 tbsp medium curry powder
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
¼ tsp turmeric
Salt and black pepper
1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
100ml vegetable stock
1 generous tbsp mango chutney
For the tofu:
2 x 280g blocks of firm tofu, well drained
4 tbsp plain flour
100g panko breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp sunflower oil
Spring onions, thinly sliced
Black sesame seeds
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 5-6 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in the curry powder, cumin, garam masala and turmeric and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stock and mango chutney. Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whizz with a stick blender until smooth.
- Cut each block of tofu into six slices. Place the flour in a shallow bowl, beat the egg in a second and place the breadcrumbs in a third.
- Turn the tofu slices in the flour to coat on all sides, then coat in the egg and finally dredge in the breadcrumbs, gently pressing them on to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Cook the tofu for 2-3 minutes per side or until crisp and golden-brown, working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan. Drain the tofu on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, warm the sauce, adding a little extra water if needed.
- Divide the rice almongst four shallow serving bowls or plates and top with the tofu. Pour over a little of the sauce and serve the rest separately. Garnish with black sesame seeds and spring onions.
Per serving: 588kcals, 43.7g fat (28.1g saturated), 37.5g carbs (7.3g sugars), 19.1g protein, 5.4g fibre, 0.243g sodium