Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the crust:
For the filling:
- Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and add the cubes of butter. Working quickly, use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Use a knife to stir in just enough cold water to bind the dough together. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Use butter to grease a 23cm fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a circle slightly wider than the tart tin.
- Fit the pastry into the tin, pressing into the corners, and trim the overhang. Patch any cracks with the pastry trimmings. Prick the bottom of the tart shell a few times with a fork. Refrigerate the crust for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Line the crust with foil and fill with baking beans or dry rice. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until lightly golden around the rim. Remove the foil and beans and lower the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5. Bake for 12 minutes longer, until the pastry is lightly golden all over. Allow the crust to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a pan over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until lightly crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Add the onion and a pinch of sugar to the bacon fat in the pan and cook over a low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, egg, egg yolk, nutmeg, thyme and some salt and pepper.
- Spread half of the onion over the bottom of the prepared tart crust. Scatter with half of the bacon, then add a layer of sliced potato. Add the remaining bacon and onion, then top with the Reblochon. Slowly pour the cream mixture over everything.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the filling is set. Rest on a wire rack for 8-10 minutes, then serve with a salad.
Note: Reblochon cheese can be used as an alternative to Gruyère cheese, if you wish.
Per serving: 498kcals, 26.4g fat (14.3g saturated), 45.9g carbs, 3.7g sugars, 19.8g protein, 3.9g fibre, 0.613g sodium
In a hurry? Save time on either recipe by using ready-made pastry.
Fancy something sweet? Try our chocolate and raspberry tart…