2½ tbsp olive oil
½ a red onion, finely chopped
1 x 400g tin of black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp hot sauce, plus extra for serving
100g kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
1 tbsp garlic, crushed
Salt and black pepper
For the rice:
2 mugs full of water
1 mug full of brown rice
- Bring the water for the rice to a boil in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Stir in the rice and bring back to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for five minutes until softened.
- Add the beans, water, cumin, chilli powder and hot sauce. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the pan and cook the kale and garlic for 3-5 minutes until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat and add the remaining oil to the pan. Crack in two of the eggs and cook for 1-2 minutes until the whites are nearly set. Cover with a lid and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Repeat with the two remaining eggs.
- Add a scoop of rice to one side of a bowl, then add the kale and beans. Top with an egg and add another drizzle of hot sauce to serve, if desired.
688kcals, 16g fat (3g saturated), 105.8g carbs, 3.1g sugars, 33.2g protein, 18.4g fibre, 0.159g sodium