Olive oil, for greasing
16 chestnut mushrooms, or 4 large portobello mushrooms
200g stuffing of choice, bought or homemade (click here for our back-to-basics stuffing recipe)
½ onion, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and lightly grease a large baking dish with olive oil.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop them finely, then set aside. Arrange the mushroom caps on the prepared baking tray.
- Melt half of the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and add the onion and mushroom stalks. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Melt the remaining butter in a separate bowl.
- Add the stuffing to the onion and mushroom mixture and pour over the melted butter. Stir until the stuffing has soaked up the butter. Season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Divide the stuffing mixture equally between the mushrooms, pushing it down to fill them completely and mounding it a little over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the stuffing is golden on top.
Per Serving 357kcals, 24g fat (11.5g saturated), 30.7g carbs, 4.7g sugars, 7g protein, 2.5g fibre, 0.76g sodium
Make the stuffing up to three months in advance and freeze until needed. These mushrooms can be stuffed one day ahead of baking.
MAKE IT YOURS
Make your own stuffing from gluten-free bread for a coeliac-friendly version. To make this dairy-free, use olive oil in place of the butter.