2 large onions, finely chopped
350g fresh breadcrumbs
3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
8 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Cook the onions for 4-5 minutes until they are softened and translucent, but not coloured.
- Place the breadcrumbs and herbs into a large bowl and stir to combine thoroughly. Season to taste.
- Pour the melted butter mixture over the breadcrumb mixture and stir until combined.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Per Serving 333kcals, 22.2g fat (13.3g saturated), 28.7g carbs, 3.5g sugars, 5,4g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.404g sodium
Stuffing freezes really well, so this is a great recipe to make ahead of time and pop in the freezer. Just make sure it’s completely thawed before reheating
MAKE IT YOURS
- Add 100g cooked, crumbled black pudding, white pudding or sausage meat, along with 2 tbsp apple sauce.
- Add 3 cooked, crumbled crispy rashers.
- Cook 120g finely chopped mushrooms along with the onions.
- Swap the thyme for sage.
- Add 100g dried cranberries for a touch of sweetness.
- Use small, stale cubes of bread instead of breadcrumbs for a chunkier option.
- Add a splash of chicken stock for a moister stuffing.