For the doughnuts:
250ml milk, warmed
3 ½ tsp dried yeast
450g plain flour
55g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1 large egg, beaten
30g unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
200g strawberry jam
150g cream cheese, room temp
50g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla paste
50g strawberries, chopped
- In a jug, combine the milk and the yeast. Add one teaspoon of the flour and one teaspoon of the sugar. Whisk until well combined. Allow to sit in a warm spot for 10- 15 minutes or until frothy.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining flour, sugar and salt. Use a dough hook attachment on your mixer to mix until well combined. Slowly add in the beaten egg, melted butter and the yeast mixture.
- Mix for 8-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic (the dough should feel slightly sticky).
- Lightly dust your hands with flour and roughly shape the dough into a ball. Place into a large oiled mixing bowl. Cover with greased cling film and place a tea towel over the top. Allow to prove in a warm spot for 1-11⁄2 hours or until doubled in size. Line two large baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- Once the dough has proved, gently scrape the dough onto a floured surface. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough to about 1cm thick.
- Use an 8cm round cutter to cut out about 10 doughnuts, making sure to cut them out as close together as possible.
- Carefully transfer the doughnuts and holes onto the prepared baking trays.
- Cover the doughnuts with a tea towel and allow to prove for a further 40 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- To cook the doughnuts, heat a deep fat fryer (or a pot filled with sunflower oil) to 180 ̊C. Working in batches, cook the doughnuts for about 3-5 minutes on each side. Once cooked, transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, spoon the strawberry jam into a piping bag with a 5mm round nozzle. Pipe the jam into the centres of the doughnuts and set aside.
- For the icing, combine the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. Use a palette knife to spread the over the top of each doughnut. Decorate with some chopped fresh strawberries.
446kcals, 17.9g fat (7.2g saturated), 62.5g carbs (13.1g sugars), 9.6g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.098g sodium