60g cocoa powder
200g caster sugar
30g icing sugar
½ tsp salt
120g plain flour
½ tsp espresso powder
3 large eggs
120ml vegetable oil
2 tbsp water
200g dark chocolate, chopped
100g strawberries, chopped
1 tbsp strawberry jam
For the topping:
250ml cold double cream
3 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp strawberry jam
200g strawberries, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a 23cm round cake tin and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cocoa powder, sugars, salt, flour and espresso powder. Whisk until combined.
- Stir in the eggs, oil and water until combined. Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, toss the strawberries and the jam. Gently fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the cream and icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Swirl half of the jam through the topping.
- Toss the remaining jam with the strawberries.
- Carefully remove the cake from the tin and spread the top with the whipped cream. Top with the strawberries.
Per serving: 593kcals, 39.3g fat (16.8g saturated), 57.3g carbs (30.2g sugars), 5.4g protein, 2.3g fibre, 0.153g sodium
TEST KITCHEN TIP
Make this more kid-friendly by using milk chocolate in place of the dark.