For the sponge:
300g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
140g butter, cubed
140g dark brown sugar
140g golden syrup
1 large egg
For the drizzle:
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
100g caster sugar
For the buttercream:
500g icing sugar
250g unsalted butter, softened
4 tbsp stem ginger syrup
3 tbsp lemon curd
- 1 Preheat the oven to 160 ̊C/140 ̊C fan/gas mark 3. Line two 15cm tins with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate and all the spices. Rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, treacle, golden syrup and milk. On a medium heat stir until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat until the mix is just below boiling point.
- Pour the treacle mix into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Beat in the eggs to form a thick batter. Divide the mix into the prepared tins and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin.
- For the syrup, in a small saucepan stir together the lemon and sugar over a medium heat. Stir until the sugars have dissolved. Using a skewer, pierce the sponges and brush them with the syrup.
- For the buttercream, beat together the icing sugar, unsalted butter and stem ginger syrup. Swirl through the lemon curd to give a marbled effect to the buttercream.
- Slice the sponges in half and sandwich the sponge layers with the buttercream. Top the cake with the remaining buttercream and decorate with lemon zest.
Per Serving: 681kcals, 27.4g fat (16.9g saturated), 107.6g carbs (75g sugars), 4.3g protein, 1.3g fibre, 0.456g sodium