For the sponge:
100g butter, plus extra for greasing
170g dates, roughly chopped
160g plain flour
100g caster sugar
100g brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
For the sauce:
150g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a square 23cm baking tin with butter.
- Place the dates in a saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil and cook for about 30 seconds, then turn off the heat.
- Use an electric whisk to cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the flour, sugars, spices and baking powder, and mix until everything is combined.
- Add both eggs and mix until just combined. Add the dates and water, and mix again until smooth and combined.
- Transfer the batter into the baking tin, and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, combine all of the sauce ingredients in the same saucepan used for the dates and bring to a boil over a high heat. Boil for about one minute, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- When the sponge is ready, drizzle over a little of the sauce. Place the remaining sauce in a jug and serve with the warm sponge and some ice cream.
Per serving: 511kcals, 24.6g fat (15.1g saturated), 71.7g carbs, 52.8g sugars, 4.4g protein, 2.4g fibre, 0.192g sodium