Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the caramel sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 20cm round cake tin with melted butter and line the base with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dates, boiling water and bicarbonate of soda. Stir together and set aside for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric whisk to beat the eggs until frothy. Gradually whisk in the brown sugar, continuing to beat for a further 2-3 minutes until thick and pale.
- Sift the flour over the top of the egg mixture. Add the oil, vanilla and date mixture and use a spatula to fold in gently until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place two tablespoons of the evaporated milk in a saucepan and whisk in the cornflour until smooth. Stir in the remaining evaporated milk along with the brown sugar.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over a medium-high heat until the sauce boils, then continue stirring for a further three minutes. Strain into a jug and place a piece of cling film on the surface of the sauce to prevent a skin forming.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and leave to stand in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn onto a serving plate and remove the parchment paper.
- Slice and serve warm with the caramel sauce.
Per Serving 327kcals, 5.6g fat (2.4g saturated), 64.7g carbs, 43.6g sugars, 6.9g protein, 2.8g fibre, 0.189g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Passionfruit meringue gateaux