Melted butter, for greasing
270g dried dates, finely chopped
300ml boiling water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g brown sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the caramel sauce:
375ml evaporated milk
3 tsp cornflour
130g brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 20cm round cake tin with melted butter and line the base with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dates, boiling water and bicarbonate of soda. Stir together and set aside for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric whisk to beat the eggs until frothy. Gradually whisk in the brown sugar, continuing to beat for a further 2-3 minutes until thick and pale.
- Sift the flour over the top of the egg mixture. Add the oil, vanilla and date mixture and use a spatula to fold in gently until combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place two tablespoons of the evaporated milk in a saucepan and whisk in the cornflour until smooth. Stir in the remaining evaporated milk along with the brown sugar.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over a medium-high heat until the sauce boils, then continue stirring for a further three minutes. Strain into a jug and place a piece of cling film on the surface of the sauce to prevent a skin forming.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and leave to stand in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn onto a serving plate and remove the parchment paper.
- Slice and serve warm with the caramel sauce.
Per Serving 327kcals, 5.6g fat (2.4g saturated), 64.7g carbs, 43.6g sugars, 6.9g protein, 2.8g fibre, 0.189g sodium