Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the cinnamon whipped cream:
- Place the dates in a bowl and pour over 120ml boiling water; soak for 30 minutes. Grease and line a 28 x 19cm baking tin.
- In a bowl, whisk the oil, treacle and fresh ginger to combine
- In a jug, whisk the egg and buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, cinnamon and sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/140˚C fan/gas mark 3.
- Use a food processor or stick blender to whizz the dates together with their liquid to form a thick purée.
- Add the treacle mixture, the egg mixture and the puréed dates into the bowl with the flour. Stir together briefly until just combined into a thick batter.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- The cake will be at its best 2-3 days after baking. Wrap the cake in parchment paper and then in a layer of foil to store.
- To serve, whip the cream, cinnamon and icing sugar. Serve the ginger cake with dollops of the cinnamon cream.
Per Serving 269kcals, 9.5g fat (2.4g saturated), 43.1g carbs (19.2g sugars), 4.4g protein, 1.9g fibre, 0.162g sodium
CakesSweet thingsMother’s DayFather’s DayValentine’s DaySpecial OccasionsAfternoon teaBakingDinner party
Popular in Cakes
Passionfruit meringue gateaux