2 tbsp olive oil
1 large chicken, preferable free-range, jointed into 8 pieces
Salt and black pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 leek, washed, trimmed and chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed
Large handful of fresh parsley, stalks and leaves separated and chopped
600ml chicken stock
200g frozen peas, thawed
1 handful of asparagus spears, trimmed
1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans
1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
- Put a large casserole pot over a medium heat and add the olive oil. Pat the chicken portions dry with kitchen paper and season all over. Brown the chicken pieces on all sides, turning regularly, then transfer to a plate. Pour off all but two tablespoons of fat from the pan.
- Add the onion and leek and cook over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and the stalks from the herbs and cook for one minute longer.
- Return the chicken to the pan, pour in the stock and season with black pepper.
- Cover with a lid and cook over a medium-low heat for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is very tender.
- Return to a boil and stir in the peas, asparagus, cannellini beans and tarragon. When the vegetables are done, add most of the herb leaves, reserving some for garnish.
- Remove the chicken from the stew and shred the meat from the bones. Discard the bones and return the meat to the pan. Stir in the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- Ladle the stew into bowls. Top with grated Parmesan and sprinkle with the fresh herbs.
Per serving: 607kcals, 16.9g fat (3.9g saturated), 52.9g carbs (5.8g sugars), 61.3g protein, 20.3g fibre, 0.526g sodium.