For the filling:
1 small onion, chopped
2 small leeks, washed, trimmed and chopped
Salt and black pepper
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
60g plain flour
1.2l chicken stock
200g frozen peas
6 chicken fillets, cooked, chopped into bite-sized chunks
For the dumpling topping:
125g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Pinch of salt
80g butter, cold, cubed
1 egg, beaten
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the onion and leeks for 6-8 minutes until softened. Season with salt and pepper, add the carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes longer.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, over a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the hot stock, stirring constantly. Keep stirring for another 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Add the peas to the pan along with the cream and cooked chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir well, then remove from the heat.
- Divide the chicken and vegetable mixture amongst six individual pie dishes or ramekins.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5.
- For the topping, combine the flour, baking powder, parsley and salt. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the milk and gather together to form a dough.
- Roll out the dough and use a pastry cutter or floured glass to cut out six circles just small enough to fit inside the rims of the pie dishes.
- Place the dumpling toppings on top of the filling. Brush the tops of the pies with egg and place the dishes on a large baking tray.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the insides are bubbling and the tops are golden.
Per serving: 601kcals, 30.2g fat (15.3g saturated), 40g carbs (6.8g sugars), 42g protein, 4.4g fibre, 0.984g sodium