300g dried red lentils, washed and drained
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 3cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp caster sugar
200ml vegetable stock
100g baby spinach
3 tbsp coriander, chopped
Naan bread and mango chutney
- Place the rinsed lentils in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes, then drain.
- In a dry pan over a medium heat, toast the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric and chilli powder, stirring, for 30 seconds or until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add the oil to the pan, then add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for one minute, then stir in the tomato puré
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, stock and drained lentils, then simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are tender, stirring regularly and adding a little extra stock if the dhal becomes too thick.
- Stir through the spinach and coriander. Serve with naan bread and mango chutney.
Per serving: 390kcals, 5.9g fat (0.7g saturated), 63.9g carbs, 10.3g sugars, 23.6g protein, 27.9g fibre, 0.048g sodium