450g aubergines, cut into strips
1 onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp sesame seeds
120g tomato purée
2 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sriracha
2 tbsp sambal chilli paste
3 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp rice vinegar
Salt and black pepper
Fresh basil, chopped
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a wok or large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the aubergines and cook for 6-8 minutes until just tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the wok to the heat and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until translucent. Transfer to the bowl with the aubegrines.
- Return the wok to the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic, ginger and sesame seeds, and cook for one minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, sugar, Sriracha, sambal paste, tamari, rice vinegar and water. Simmer for 10 minutes over a low heat until it starts to thicken.
- Add the aubergine mixture and stir gently until coated and heated through.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil and serve with rice.
Per serving: 241kcals, 12.4g fat (2.3g saturated), 30.7g carbs, 18.1g sugars, 5.2g protein, 6.8g fibre, 0.939g sodium
You can find sambal paste in any Asian supermarket.