2 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 3cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
500ml vegetable stock
160ml coconut milk
150g spinach, chopped
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
1kg pumpkin, chopped into chunks
3 medium potatoes, chopped into chunks
100g butter or vegan butter
Splash or two of milk or non-dairy alternative
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, celery and carrot for 5-6 minutes, stirring, until soft.
- Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes and stock. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Stir in the coconut milk, spinach and fresh coriander. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, steam the pumpkin and potato chunks (or cook in salted boiling water) for 8-10 minutes until tender. Drain thoroughly and return to the pan to steam dry. Mash with the butter and milk until smooth. Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Grease six individual ovenproof dishes.
- Divide the lentil mixture between the dishes and top with the pumpkin mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Per serving 476kcals, 20.7g fat (15.2g saturated), 58.9g carbs, 9.6g sugars, 18.3g protein, 22.7g fibre, 0.382g sodium