150g self-raising flour
100g ground almonds
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
4 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
3 tbsp milk
300g carrots, grated
For the icing:
150g full-fat soft cream cheese
Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line of the base of a 20cm springform tin with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, almonds, raisins, walnuts, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, oil and milk in a separate bowl. Stir in the grated carrots.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the carrot mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for one hour until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese, orange juice and zest until combined. Spread over the cooled cake and slice to serve.
421kcals, 30.3g fat (6.6g saturated), 29.9g carbs, 8.8g sugars, 10.5g protein, 4.2g fibre, 0.293g sodium