1 x 1.4kg whole chicken
1 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper
2 lemons, chopped into chunks
800g potatoes, chopped
150g chorizo, chopped
12 garlic cloves, peeled
200ml white wine
200ml chicken stock
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Pinch of saffron (optional)
Small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 45 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish. In a bowl, mix the paprika with one tablespoon
of olive oil. Rub this all over the chicken, then season generously with salt and black pepper. Push half of the lemon chunks inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Toss the potatoes and chorizo with the remaining oil, season with salt and pepper and scatter around the chicken. Cover with foil and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and baste the chicken with the juices in the bottom of the tin. Add the remaining chunks of lemon and the garlic cloves to the potatoes and chorizo, stirring to combine. Return to the oven for another 30 minutes, uncovered.
- In a bowl, combine the wine, stock, chickpeas and saffron, if using.
- Pour the stock mixture into the bottom of the dish around the chicken, stirring together with the potatoes. Return to the oven for a final 20 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a knife.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, tent loosely with foil and rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, keep the potato and chickpea mixture warm in a low oven.
- Stir the parsley into the potatoes and chickpeas. Carve the chicken and serve with some salad.
Per serving: 817kcals, 37.9g fat (10.5g saturated), 42.6g carbs, 3.3g sugars, 65.6g protein, 6.9g fibre, 0.844g sodium