Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the bean-balls:
For the sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Thoroughly coat a large baking tray with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the beans, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Pulse until chopped but not puréed; it should be a little chunky rather than smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized bowl and stir in the parsley, oregano, egg, breadcrumbs, Parmesan and some salt and pepper until well combined.
- Roll two-tablespoon portions of the bean mixture into “meatballs” between the palms of your hands. Space the balls evenly on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the meatballs are firm to the touch and have developed a light golden brown coating.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Add the garlic and tomato purée and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for another minute, then add the tomatoes, sugar, and basil. Reduce the heat a bit and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- When the bean-balls are cooked, carefully add them to the tomato sauce and simmer gently for five minutes.
- Spoon the tomato bean-balls over spaghetti and top with extra grated Parmesan. Serve with garlic bread.
Per serving: 511kcals, 16.5g fat (3.8g saturated), 71.8g carbs, 16.3g sugars, 25.2g protein, 20.2g fibre, 0.375g sodium
ItalianDinnerDinnerMeat-freeCholesterol-friendly recipesLow-fatHigh-proteinKidsFamily mealsCuisinesBudget mealsComfort foodMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Italian
Spaghetti with lemon and chilli crabmeat