500g beef mince
1 tsp dried oregano
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 small egg, beaten
30g Parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
Salt and black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 x 400g tin of crushed tomatoes
350g jar of tomato and basil pasta sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp sugar
Spaghetti and/or garlic bread
- In a bowl, combine the beef mince, breadcrumbs, oregano, garlic, onion, egg, Parmesan and some salt and pepper. Mix until just combined. Shape into 2-3cm meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, brown the meatballs on all sides.
- In the bowl of the slow cooker, stir together the tinned tomatoes, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, sugar and some salt and pepper. Gently stir in the meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve over spaghetti or simply with garlic bread.
Per Serving 430kcals, 18.8g fat (2.4g saturated), 29.5g carbs (12.6g sugars), 35.9g protein, 5.8g fibre, 0.844g sodium
Browning the meatballs is technically optional, but it adds flavour and helps them to hold together better during the long simmer in the slow cooker.