1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1.5kg beef chuck or housekeepers’ cut, at room temperature
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tbsp tomato purée
150ml red wine
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
300ml beef stock
- Preheat the oven to 150 ̊C/130 ̊C fan/gas mark 2.
- Season the beef all over. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over a high heat and brown the beef on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic, thyme and tomato purée to the casserole dish and cook for two minutes. Pour in the wine and allow to bubble for 3-4 minutes over a high heat, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom using a wooden spoon.
- Return the beef to the casserole dish and add the tinned tomatoes and stock. Cover tightly with foil and add the lid on top, then place in the oven to cook for four hours.
- Serve the beef with mashed potatoes, your chosen vegetables and the gravy.
540kcals, 18.4g fat (6.3g saturated), 7.5g carbs (4.4g sugars), 77.9g protein, 2g fibre, 0.37g sodium