220g butter, chopped
4 tbsp cocoa powder
400g caster sugar
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
120g plain yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
220g dark chocolate
100g plain yoghurt
Few tablespoons of milk
Few tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and spray a 20cm skillet with non-stick spray, or brush with butter.
- Combine the water, cocoa powder and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the mascarpone, yoghurt and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture, and give it another quick mix.
- Pour the warm chocolate mixture into the flour mixture, and whisk to combine fully.
- Pour the chocolate cake mixture into the skillet and bake for 30-35 minutes. If you want it slightly gooey, remove from the oven when there is still a little wobble in the centre.
- While the cake cools, melt the chocolate for the icing in the microwave. Set aside for a few minutes. Take a large bowl and using a handheld mixer whisk together the mascarpone and yoghurt, more in the melted chocolate and whisk. Add some milk little by little to reach the required consistency. It should be light and spreadable. You can add a few tablespoons of honey or maple syrup if you prefer a sweet icing.
- Spread over your skillet cake and top with some chocolate shaving, or chopped toasted nuts would also be delicious.
- If you want to serve the cake hot from the oven you can make a simple chocolate sauce with 200g cream, 100g dark chocolate and two tablespoons of maple syrup. Heat the cream and syrup in a saucepan, chop up your chocolate and then pour the hot cream on top of the chocolate. Leave for two minutes and then stir until fully combined. Simple pour over the skillet cake and serve.