Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 45 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5.
- Place the parsnips, carrots, onions and garlic cloves in a large roasting tin. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat, then scatter over the thyme leaves and season with salt and black pepper. Place the chicken on top, breast side up.
- Push the sprigs of thyme and the lemon inside the cavity of the chicken. At the top of the cavity, gently use your fingers to separate the skin from the chicken breast and push the butter underneath. Rub the chicken all over with olive oil and season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Roast for one hour and 20 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a knife. Transfer to a plate, tent loosely with foil and rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn the oven up to 220 ̊C/200 ̊C fan/gas mark 7. Toss the vegetables to coat in the chicken juices and place on the top shelf of the oven for 20 minutes until sticky and caramelised, tossing occasionally.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the root vegetables and some peas.
Per serving: 536kcals, 13.7g fat (4.9g saturated), 33.4g carbs, 11g sugars, 68.2g protein, 8.3g fibre, 0.276g sodium
Make it yours: Mix up the vegetables to suit your preferences — try leeks, beetroot and/or turnip.
ChickenGluten-freeIrishDinnerDiabetic-friendlyDinnerLow-fatSpecial OccasionsHigh-proteinOne-potKidsFamily mealsCuisinesFree-fromSunday roastBudget mealsComfort foodMake it Healthy
Popular in Chicken
Easy fried chicken and asian slaw