1 onion, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
200g Arborio rice
120ml white wine
600ml chicken stock
250ml Parmesan broth
60g Parmesan, grated, plus extra for serving
Fresh basil, chopped
- Melt 30g of the butter in a pot over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 6-8 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and stir for two minutes, coating the grains in the butter. Add the wine and simmer, stirring regularly, until absorbed.
- Add a ladleful of the stock and simmer, stirring, until absorbed. Keep adding the stock bit by bit, stirring until almost completely absorbed before adding the next ladleful. When the stock has been absorbed, continue with the Parmesan broth, adding it little by little and stirring very often until the rice is tender and creamy, but retains a little bite.
- Stir in the Parmesan. Use a wooden spoon to beat in the remaining 20g of butter. Season to taste and sprinkle with some chopped basil and some extra Parmesan, if desired.
Per serving: 369kcals, 14.2g fat (8.8g saturated), 45.8g carbs, 2.1g sugars, 9.3g protein, 2.1g fibre, 0.942g sodium
Click here for how to make your own Parmesan broth – it’s a great store cupboard piece and helps reduce waste in the kitchen