500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp salt
360ml barbecue sauce, store-bought or homemade
Mini white rolls
- Heat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3. Pat the chicken thighs dry with kitchen paper.
- In an ovenproof casserole dish, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Cook the onion for five minutes or until soft, then add the garlic and smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the salt and a few generous grinds of black pepper.
- Add the chicken and stir to mix well with the onion. Pour in the barbecue sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot with a heavy lid and place in the oven for 90 minutes, or until extremely tender. Remove from the oven and use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a large bowl. Use two forks to shred the chicken finely.
- Meanwhile, put the sauce back on the stove over a high heat, uncovered. Bring to a boil and reduce until thick. Pour the thickened sauce over the chicken and stir together.
- Pack a tub of chicken in a lunchbox with coleslaw and a wholemeal bap for on-the-spot assembly into BBQ chicken sloppy joes.
Per serving: 355kcals, 13.3g fat (3.3g saturated), 15.6g carbs, 10.6g sugars, 40.8g protein, 0.7g fibre, 1.012g sodium