Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Place the flour into a large mixing bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and orange zest and mix in just enough of the water to bring the mixture together as a smooth dough. Bring it together into a firm ball.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface. Use a 6cm pastry cutter to stamp out 18 rounds. Continue with the below method to make regular mince pies, or see our 'Top Tip' below for other ideas!
- Nestle half of the rounds into nine of the cups in an 18-cup tartlet tin, so that the pastry fits smoothly in the bottom of each cup and comes slightly up the sides. Fill each pie with about one tablespoon of mincemeat (p.80).
- Dampen the edges of the pastries in the tin with a bit of cold water, then press the remaining pastry rounds on as lids.
- Cut a small slit into the centre of each pie and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Top tip: This recipe makes enough pastry for nine mince pies with pastry lids, or can be used to make 18 Viennese whirls or Bakewell mince pies. Any leftover pastry can be frozen for another use!