Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the salad
For the pomegranate vinaigrette
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/ gas mark 7. On a baking sheet, toss together the squash, one tablespoon of olive oil, one tablespoon of maple syrup, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until the squash is tender.
- Line a separate baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the pumpkin seeds, one tablespoon of olive oil, one tablespoon of maple syrup, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt. Arrange in a single layer. Transfer to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the seeds are toasted. Watch closely as they can catch easily.
- Meanwhile, in a large salad bowl, combine the kale, brussels sprouts, and pomegranate seeds.
- To make the vinaigrette, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the shallots and sage, cook until fragrant, for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly. Add the pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Pour the warm vinaigrette over the salad, tossing to combine. Add the roasted squash, gently tossing. Top the salad with toasted pumpkin seeds, and shavings of cheese, if you're using them.
Test Kitchen Tip: This salad can be made and assembled in advance up until step 4. Combine the greens, pomegranates, and roasted squash in a salad bowl, but leave the seeds out. Store the bowl in the fridge, covered, and keep the seeds and vinaigrette separate. Then, just before serving, warm the vinaigrette and toss the salad together.
Per serving: 436kcals, 26.5g fat (6.5g saturated), 44g carbs, 28.2g sugars, 11.4g protein, 3.9g fibre, 0.201g sodium