Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Place 100g duck or goose fat or 100ml olive oil into the largest roasting tin you can use, and place this in the oven while it preheats so the fat can get really hot.
- Peel 1kg potatoes, cutting large potatoes into quarters and smaller ones into halves, so that they are all roughly the same size. Rinse the potatoes in cold water to get rid of surplus starch. Place them into a large pot, cover with fresh water and add one teaspoon of salt. Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, cook for 5-6 minutes until just slightly tender.
- Turn the heat off on the hob. Drain the potatoes well, then return the pan to the hot hob. Steam the potatoes dry for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan every 20 seconds or so to rough up their edges.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and add the potatoes, being careful not to splash yourself with the hot fat. Use tongs to toss the potatoes in the fat to coat all sides.
- Season generously with sea salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 45-50 minutes, turning every 20 minutes or so, until the potatoes are very golden and crisp.
- Sprinkle with 2 tbsp fresh thyme or rosemary leaves for the final 20 minutes, if desired.
- Season with sea salt and serve immediately.
Note: Rosemary leaves can be used as an alternative to fresh thyme, if you wish.
ChristmasDinnerMeat-free30-minute mealsSpecial OccasionsFamily mealsSunday roastDinner partyBudget mealsVegetarian
Popular in Christmas
Mini veggie mushroom Wellingtons