1 x 1.4kg whole chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper
150ml chicken stock
½ a lemon, roughly chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
6 garlic cloves, skins on
Small handful of fresh sage leaves
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 45 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5.
- Rub the chicken all over with olive oil, then season generously with salt and black pepper. Place in a baking dish and pour the stock into the bottom of the dish around the chicken. Push the lemon chunks inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Spread the squash and garlic out on a large baking tray and toss with the remaining olive oil and some salt and black pepper.
- Roast the chicken for one hour and 20 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a knife, adding the squash to the oven for the final 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the barley according to package instructions, then drain well.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, tent loosely with foil and rest for 20 minutes while the squash finishes cooking.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins into the chicken juices in the baking dish. Mash with a fork, then add the squash, the barley and the sage leaves and toss to coat everything in the chicken juices.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the barley and squash mixture.
Per Serving: 619kcals, 21.9g fat (5.1g saturated), 48.1g carbs, 2.1g sugars, 57.6g protein, 11.2g fibre, 0.32g sodium