Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the sponge:
For the vanilla cream filling:
For the frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5. Line a 35 x 24cm Swiss roll tin with parchment paper.
- Whisk the eggs and Siúcra caster sugar together until it reaches the ribbon stage. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder together in a medium bowl.
- Carefully fold the dry ingredients and enough of the colouring gel (to colour it deep red) into the egg mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into the lined tin and bake for 9-10 minutes until the sides start shrinking from the edge slightly.
- Place a piece of parchment paper larger than the Swiss roll on a clean surface. Invert the cake onto the paper and carefully remove the parchment lining. Trim the edges and score a line along the length of the sponge about 2cm in, being careful not to cut through the sponge. This will help with rolling up.
- Using the parchment paper, roll up the sponge with the paper inside. Set aside and allow to cool.
- While the sponge is cooling, make the filling. In a bowl, combine the cream, Siúcra icing sugar and nutmeg (if using).
- To make the frosting, whisk the cream, cream cheese, Siúcra icing sugar, lime juice and vanilla extract together until thick.
- To assemble, uncurl the Swiss roll and remove the parchment paper. Spread the mashed raspberries onto the sponge, followed by the cream, then re-roll tightly.
- Cut one quarter of the cake off at one end on the diagonal. Transfer the large piece of cake to a serving platter or cake stand and angle the cut end to the side of the large cake to form a “branch”.
- Spread the frosting over the log with a palette knife, making indents to form the “bark” effect.
- Sprinkle over the coconut flakes. Arrange the stars and holly leaves on top. Dust with a little Siúcra icing sugar.
Per Serving 399kcals, 25.4g fat (15.2g saturated), 37.3g carbs (26g sugars), 8.3g protein, 2.1g fibre, 0.2g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Passionfruit meringue gateaux