Makes 2 Battenbergs, each serves 10
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the sponge:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/ gas mark 4. Line two 20cm square tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- To make the sponges, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder, until just combined.
- Divide the mix into two bowls. To one bowl, add the lemon zest. Swirl through the raspberry purée through the second bowl. You can add a few drops of red food colouring to make the sponge pinker, if desired.
- Pour the mixtures into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the sponges to cool completely.
- To assemble, warm up the raspberry jam until runny and then pass it through a sieve.
- Using a sharp knife, trim the rough edges of the sponges, then cut each sponge lengthwise into four even strips.
- Roll out the fondant to just over 20cm wide and ½cm thick.
- On a work surface, lay one strip of raspberry sponge and one strip of lemon sponge side by side. Brush the tops and sides of the sponges with jam. Place the remaining two strips of sponge on top, alternating the colours.
- Carefully lift the assembled Battenberg onto the edge of the rolled out fondant. Lift the other side of fondant over and pinch the edges. Cut off the excess and smooth with your hands. You may also crimp the edges with your fingers or using a fork.
Per serving: 423kcals, 19.6g fat (10g saturated), 60.1g carbs (44.9g sugars), 4.4g protein, 1.2g fibre, 0.12g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Mini pineapple upside-down cakes