1 tbsp vegetable oil
200g smoked bacon lardons
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
100ml chicken stock
Salt and black pepper
250g frozen peas
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil over a high heat and cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain well and set aside, reserving some of the pasta water.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan over a high heat and cook the bacon until golden and crisp, stirring frequently. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Add the onion and garlic to the bacon fat in the pan and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon. Add the cream and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce a simmer and cook for 6-8 minutes until the sauce thickens and becomes silky, stirring occasionally. If the sauce is too thick, add a splash of boiling water to loosen.
- Meanwhile, defrost the peas in a bowl by covering them with boiling water. Drain and stir into the pan along with the lemon zest and juice and the crispy bacon, keeping some for serving. Add the pasta and a splash of pasta water and toss to heat through for two minutes.
- Divide amongst bowls and top with the remaining bacon and black pepper to serve.
Per serving 555kcals, 18.5g fat (6.3g saturated), 75.3g carbs (7.8g sugars), 21.9g protein, 7.3g fibre, 0.613g sodium