For the sauce:
2 tsp cornflour
1½ tbsp soy sauce
1½ tbsp oyster sauce
1½ tbsp Chinese cooking wine or sherry
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp sesame oil
For the chow mein:
200g chicken fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
200g chow mein noodles or medium egg noodles
1½ tbsp peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
300g Savoy cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, chopped into matchsticks
3 spring onions, chopped, white and green parts separated
4 tbsp water
200g water chestnuts (optional)
- For the sauce, combine the cornflour and soy sauce in a small bowl, then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Place the chicken in a sealable bag and pour over one tablespoon of the chow mein sauce. Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil over a high heat and cook the noodles according to the package instructions.
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Add the chicken, shaking off any excess marinade. Cook for about one minute until just browned on all sides. Add the garlic and cook for 10 seconds, stirring.
- Add the cabbage, carrot and the white parts of the spring onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the cabbage is just starting to wilt and the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the noodles, sauce and water. Cook for just one minute, tossing well to coat everything in the sauce.
- Stir through the bean sprouts, water chestnuts and the green parts of the spring onions. Remove from the heat and serve.
Per Serving 554kcals, 21g fat (4.4g saturated), 47.7g carbs, 12.9g sugars, 38.1g protein, 7g fibre, 1.025g sodium