2 tbsp coconut oil
4 shallots, chopped
1 x 5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped, leaves and stems separated
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp dried coriander
1½ tsp garam masala
Salt and black pepper
200g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped into bite sized pieces
300g uncooked red lentils
1l vegetable stock
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 x 400ml tin of coconut milk
120g baby spinach
Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges for serving
2 tsp cumin seeds
Rice and/or naan
- Heat half of the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shallots, ginger, coriander stems, garlic, chilli powder, dried coriander and garam masala. Season with salt and black pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the pumpkin and lentils and stir to coat in the spices. Add the stock and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and the baby spinach. Stir well, season to taste and continue cooking for another 10 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a small pan over a medium heat and add the cumin seeds. Cook for one minute or until fragrant, stirring. Stir the seeds into the dahl.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the dahl and stir. Season to taste.
- Divide amongst bowls and scatter with the coriander leaves. Serve with rice and/or naan, with some extra lime wedges for squeezing.
Per serving: 432kcals, 22.5g fat (18.6g saturated), 45g carbs, 7.1g sugars, 17.3g protein, 19.7g fibre, 0.579g sodium.