For the sauce:
80ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp no-sugar-added peanut butter
Juice of ½ a lime
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1-3 tsp Sriracha or Thai chilli sauce
1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
For the pad Thai:
120g rice noodles
1 tsp peanut oil
1 large egg, beaten
250g prawns, peeled and deveined
Handful of bean sprouts
Fresh coriander, chopped
Red chillies, sliced
- In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions, then rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.
- Heat the peanut oil in a pan over a medium heat. Pour the beaten egg into the skillet and use a spatula to scramble it gently. Add the prawns and cook for another minute.
- Add the noodles to the pan, then pour the sauce over the noodles and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring, until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the bean sprouts and remove the pan from the heat. Divide between plates and top with chopped peanuts and coriander. Serve with lime wedges and sliced chillies.
Per Serving 491kcals, 19.3g fat (4.4g saturated), 38.7g carbs, 16.2g sugars, 40.5g protein, 2.2g fibre, 1.76g sodium
Vary the type and the amount of chilli sauce to suit your heat preference