Makes 1 large jar or 3 smaller jars
3 medium beetroots
1 red onion, sliced
150ml apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
1 all spice berry
4 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
Pinch of dried mustard seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Trim any leaves from the beetroot and wrap each one tightly with tinfoil to form individual parcels. Place on a baking tray and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least an hour.
- Put on a pair of gloves and remove the tinfoil.
- Use a knife to peel the skin from the beetroots carefully, then slice them thinly.
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt, sugar and spices in a saucepan over a medium heat. Allow the mixture to heat through without letting it boil.
- Layer the onion and beetroot in a warm sterilised jar.
- Using a spoon, remove all the all spice, cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf from the saucepan.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the vegetables and allow to cool, then seal the jar.
- Once cool, keep in the fridge for up to two months.
Per 100g serving: 38kcals, 0.1g fat (0g saturated), 7.6g carbs, 5.5g sugars, 1.1g protein, 1.4g fibre, 0.353g sodium
We definitely recommend that you wear gloves while handling the roasted beetroot. Nobody wants pink fingers!