For the cake:
250g plain flour
115g pure maple syrup
35g maple sugar (or regular sugar)
18g baking powder
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
For the ice cream:
600ml double cream
100ml pure maple syrup
25g maple sugar (or regular sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas mark 4.
- Peel, core and chop the pears. Place the pieces in a bowl with lemon juice so they don’t go brown.
- Mix the Ricotta, maple syrup and maple sugar. Beat together until combined and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and add the lemon zest, beating constantly.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture.
- Add the pears to the batter mixture. Transfer the mixture into a pre-buttered and floured 23cm spring form cake tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then check. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If required, bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the ice cream, combine together the egg yolks, maple syrup and maple sugar in a bowl set over a pan of warm water.
- Beat until thick and pale, then remove from the heat and continue beating until cool.
- Whisk the double cream until soft peaks are formed. Gently fold the cream into the cool egg mixture.
- Place the ice cream in a shallow dish and freeze overnight.
- Serve the cake with the maple ice cream.
493kcals, 28.8g fat (16.9g saturated), 49.8g carbs, 22.2g sugars, 10.7g protein, 2g fibre, 0.094g sodium