Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 3-4 minutes until it browns slightly. Pour off all but two tablespoons of fat.
- Return the pan to the stove and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and chilli flakes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add a pinch of salt.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta for one minute less than the package directions. Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- Add the red wine vinegar to the onions, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the tomato purée and cook, stirring, for two minutes.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes and stir everything together. Simmer the pasta sauce for 6-8 minutes until it is thick and chunky.
- Stir the cooked pasta into the sauce. Serve topped with grated Parmesan and chopped basil.
Note: Bacon lardons can be used as an alternative to Pancetta, if you wish.
Per serving: 476kcals, 16.5g fat (4.3g saturated), 60.4g carbs, 4.4g sugars, 21.6g protein, 2.1g fibre, 0.907g sodium
ItalianDairy-freeDinnerPasta30-minute mealsSpecial OccasionsFamily mealsCuisinesQuick and easyDinner partyBudget mealsMake it Healthy
Popular in Italian
Tomato, spinach and Mozzarella gnocchi