1 tbsp coconut oil
1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
½ a red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 x 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 tbsp garam masala
60g uncooked quinoa
300ml vegetable stock
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt and black pepper
Fresh coriander, chopped
Juice of ½ a lemon
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the sweet potato cubes for 6-8 minutes or until just softened.
- Add the onion and cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, chillies and ginger and cook for one minute longer until fragrant. Stir in the garam masala and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the quinoa, vegetable stock, chickpeas, tomatoes and sugar. Stir to combine well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until the quinoa and sweet potatoes are completely cooked through, stirring occasionally. If there is too much liquid, simmer uncovered for a few minutes to reduce. If the liquid runs out before the quinoa is cooked, add a little more stock or water and continue simmering.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze over some lemon juice and scatter with fresh coriander to serve.
Per serving 549kcals, 11.2g fat (3.9g saturated), 92g carbs (18.7g sugars), 24.6g protein, 22.5g fibre, 0.342g sodium