150g butter, at room temperature
150g dark brown sugar
225g self-raising flour
400g good-quality mincemeat
60g glacé cherries, chopped
2 tbsp whiskey, warmed
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/140˚C fan/gas mark 3. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar, eggs and flour in a large mixing bowl until combined. Stir through the mincemeat, cherries and sultanas.
- Transfer to the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While still warm, invert onto a wire rack. Poke holes in the top of the cake and brush with the warmed whiskey. Leave to cool completely.
- To serve, simply tie a ribbon around the cooled cake, or click here for some easy decorating ideas using fondant.
Per serving 304kcals, 11.1g fat (6.7g saturated), 47.8g carbs, 27.7g sugars, 3.1g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.185g sodium
- Once baked, this will keep happily in an airtight container for about one week, or frozen for up to one month.
- If you prefer to plan ahead, click here for our tips on Christmas cakes.