150g butter, at room temperature
150g dark brown sugar
225g self-raising flour
400g good-quality mincemeat
60g glacé cherries, chopped
2 tbsp whiskey, warmed
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/140˚C fan/gas mark 3. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar, eggs and flour in a large mixing bowl until combined. Stir through the mincemeat, cherries and sultanas.
- Transfer to the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While still warm, invert onto a wire rack. Poke holes in the top of the cake and brush with the warmed whiskey. Leave to cool completely.
- To serve, simply tie a ribbon around the cooled cake, or turn to p.68 for easy decorating ideas with ready-to-roll fondant.
Per Serving 304kcals, 11.1g fat (6.7g saturated), 47.8g carbs, 27.7g sugars, 3.1g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.185g sodium
- Once baked, this will keep happily in an airtight container for about one week, or frozen for up to one month.
- If you prefer to plan ahead, click here for our tips on Christmas cakes.