1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 100ml of water
Salt and black pepper
1 x 400g tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
- Place the onion, carrot and celery in a food processor and whizz into small chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat and add the vegetables. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for one minute longer.
- Add the cumin, coriander, paprika and chilli powder to the vegetables in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Whizz the mushrooms in the food processor until finely chopped; this is best done in 2-3 batches so that they don’t get too mushy. Add to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, balsamic and stock and season well. Simmer over a medium heat for 20-30 minutes, then add the kidney beans. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve over freshly baked potatoes with some grated cheese or sour cream, topped with fresh parsley or coriander.
223kcals, 11.4g fat (1.5g saturated), 23.6g carbs (6g sugars), 9.3g protein, 5.3g fibre, 0.095g sodium