For the olive spread:
150g green olives, finely chopped
150g kalamata olives, finely chopped
50g marinated artichokes, finely chopped
3 roasted red peppers, finely chopped
3 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley
2 tsp dried oregano
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
180ml extra virgin olive oil
1pinch of dried chilli flakes
For the sandwich:
200g ham, sliced
200g sharp cheddar, sliced
250g fresh mozzarella, sliced
- First, combine all the olive spread ingredients in a bowl and place in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavours to combine.
- Cut the bread in half. If using round bread, scoop out and discard most of the bread from the centre.
- Spread both sides of the bread with generous amounts of the olive spread. Avoid spooning too much liquid onto the bottom layer as it will soak down and become soggy.
- Place the bread on a baking tray. On the bottom half, build layers of salami, Mortadella, ham, Cheddar and Mozzarella. Carefully sandwich together with the top of the bread.
- Place another baking tray on top of the sandwich and balance a heavy book or a cast iron pan on top. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Slice into rectangles (or wedges if using a round loaf).
Note: Round cob of Italian bread can be used as an alternative to focaccia, if you wish.
Per serving: 863kcals, 58g fat (16.2g saturated), 49g carbs, 3.1g sugars, 39.3g protein, 5.2g fibre, 2.362g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
Mix and match the cheeses and meats to your liking. If you’re not a fan of olives, leave them out from the spread, or replace the spread entirely with pesto.