Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the icing:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line the base and sides of two 20cm square baking tins.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely-simmering water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk, then stir into the flour mixture.
- Fold in the melted chocolate until incorporated. Add 300ml of boiling water and mix to combine.
- Divide the batter between the tins and bake for 18-20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the tins for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate mints and the cream in a saucepan over a gentle heat. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until it is spreadable.
- Place one of the cakes on a serving plate or cake stand, then spread over some of the mint chocolate icing. Top with the other cake, then spread the rest of the icing all over.
- Knead a few drops of food colouring into the fondant icing. Dust a worktop with some cornflour, then roll out the icing so it is large enough to cover the cakes. Carefully lift the icing over the cakes, smooth the top and sides and trim off any excess.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then stick candy canes into the top before serving.
Per Serving 546kcals, 24.4g fat (14.9g saturated), 77.9g carbs, 54.1g sugars, 7g protein, 2.8g fibre, 0.29g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Passionfruit meringue gateaux