2 tbsp vegetable oil
500g beef mince
Salt and black pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp tomato purée
1½ tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
100g mushrooms, chopped
250ml beef stock
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 x 320g sheet of shortcrust pastry
1 egg, beaten
Boiled or mashed potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan over a medium-high heat and cook the beef mince with some salt and black pepper for 5-6 minutes until no pink parts remain, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Drain away any excess fat.
- Add the onion and thyme and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute.
- Add the mushrooms, stock, curry powder and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a baking dish.
- Roll out the pastry and drape over the baking dish, pressing firmly onto the edges. Trim away any excess and crimp the edges.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Poke a few holes with the tip of a sharp knife to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve the pie as is, or accompanied by boiled or mashed potatoes.
Per Serving: 699kcals, 37.9g fat (4.7g saturated), 42.9g carbs (2.5g sugars), 45.8g protein, 2.4g fibre, 0.364g sodium