185g cooked brown rice
3 medium sweet potatoes, roasted, peeled and mashed
170g cooked black beans, rinsed
4 spring onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small bunch of coriander, leaves only
3 tsp hot paprika powder
1½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chilli flakes
Zest of 1 lime
Salt and black pepper
Gluten-free burger buns, optional
- Place the brown rice, sweet potato and black beans in the food processor and whizz together until you have a slightly chunky mixture.
- Add the spring onions, garlic and coriander. Whizz again to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whizz again.
- Transfer the burger mixture to a bowl and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- When the mixture has chilled, remove it from the fridge. Divide and shape the mixture into four burgers.
- If barbecuing, brush the grates with a little oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Alternatively, place them in an oven preheated to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3 and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Serve with gluten-free buns if desired, accompanied by a simple side salad, chopped avocado and a tomato salsa.
Per Serving 412kcals, 9g fat (2g saturated), 75.4g carbs, 26.4g sugars, 12g protein, 12.6g fibre, 0.684g sodium
Recipe courtesy of Aoife Howard